Sometimes it can be necessary to configure a static MAC address in a VM. A typical issue during P2V is an application that has its licensing based on the MAC address.
VMware has defined that VirtualCenter does not use the following range: 00:50:56:00:00:00 to 00:50:56:3F:FF:FF where 00:50:56 is the OUI.
- Power off & remove the server from the VirtualCenter inventory. This is a necessary step, because VC will overwrite your settings during Power On!
- Edit the .vmx file and locate the following generated MAC address:
- Change the value for ethernet0.addressType from “vpx” to “static”
- Change ethernet0.GeneratedAddress to ethernet0.Address
- Change the current MAC to a MAC address in the following range:
- In VirtualCenter, select an ESX host and go to storage
- Browse the data store & locate your VM
- Right-click on the .vmx file, and select Add to inventory
- Power On the server. Issue the command ipconfig /all and locate the VMware NIC. Your manually assigned MAC address should be there.
I know you can set your MAC address inside Windows, but I would avoid this.